According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH):
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of the death in the United States.
- In 2016 it claimed the lives of nearly 45,000 Americans.
- It is the 2nd leading cause of death of those ages 10-34.
- It is the 4th leading cause of death of those ages 35-54.
- 90% of those who died by suicide had an underlying mental illness.
Additional NIMH information about suicide can be found here.
Note — The image in this post was taken by photographer Kristina Tripkovic, and it was obtained from Unsplash.com.