What kind of a notebook should I use?
This is a personal choice. Use whatever feels right.
I prefer inexpensive composition books. They slide easily in and out of backpacks and shoulder bags, they are available in many colors, and their covers are durable. It doesn’t take much work to decorate them with stickers, photographs, or custom imagery.
Over the last 28 years, I have used many different kinds of notebooks for journaling:
What kind of a pen or pencil should I use?
This, too, is a personal choice. Use whatever feels right. But I strongly suggest that you use a writing instrument that you really like, one that feels so comfortable in your hand that it quickly becomes invisible because you are able to focus all of your attention on the words that it is producing.
For many years I have relied on Pilot G2 Gel Ink Roller Ball pens. Why?
- They come in a range of colors: black, blue, green, red, purple, etc.
- They produce ink smoothly and effortlessly. I prefer the fine point, but bold and extra fine are also available.
- Their points are easily retractable (i.e. no cap to lose).
- They feature a clip, which makes them convenient for securing in a backpack, purse, or pocket.
- Their ink cartridges are replaceable with refills from Amazon or office supply stores.
- They are rugged.
Pilot G2 pens are available at Target, Meijer, Staples, and other retailers.